Sunday, August 14, 2011

I'm hooked

This summer I was finally able to take the time (and money) to take my hobby to the next level. I think what really got my "photography juices flowing" was joining the Osceola County Camera Club last June.  I actually wanted to join it a while back but was (1) too nervous/shy to show up by myself and (2) was already pre-obligated on Thursday nights.  I've already attended 4 meetings and have left each one absolutely excited and looking forward to what's next to come.   We talk about techniques, composition, local contests, organize photography field trips, complete assignments, and engage in group critiques.  What's so awesome is nobody judges anybody by the equipment they use (of course they joke about who's better- Nikon users or Canon users) nor the level you are (professional or amateur).  If you are a photographer or aspiring one, I highly recommend you joining a local camera club.  If you live in Florida, check out www.f3c.org to find your closest local camera club.  It's so nice to talk to local photographers who also have the same passion as you.

Last meeting I had my photos critiqued for the first time.  I couldn't believe how nervous I felt when I saw my photos up there.  I was so relieved and even flattered that I got positive remarks.  Me, the nobody amateur/novice photography, actually took a good photo.  The first photo was my St. Cloud Sunset photo.  I took this one during the last meeting we had on location at the St. Cloud Lakefront Marina.  We were taking panos for our assignment but after I took my shots using my kit lens, I put my 55-300mm and decided to shoot the sunset.  After some editing using my trial version of Lightroom and Photoshop CS5 I came up with this photo:
St. Cloud Sunset
Later my pano photos came up on the big screen.  My first stitched panoramas ever.  Again, I was pleasantly surprised that they like them.  The clouds and sky is was really captured a lot of the audience while others were awed that I stitched 20 images without using a tripod to level/gauge my pano.  For the assignment, I decided to photograph the Kissimmee Lakefront and the Osceola County Courthouse courtyard.
Kissimmee Lakefront Park
Kissimmee Lakefront Park

Osceola County Courthouse
Osceola County Courthouse
It was such a delight to hear the praise.  Maybe that is why I like going to these meetings.

Something I (as well as my hubby and wallet) have noticed since i joined is that I have purchased A LOT of equipment including my first prime lens (Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G), several bargain photography books, 2 photo editing programs (Lightroom and Photoshop CS5.1), and my first tripod (Manfrotto 294 Aluminum with 3 way photo/video head).  I guess that's what I get when I mix my favorite two hobbies- shopping and photography.  But you gotta do, what you gotta do for something you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. they are beautiful just like u.

    photography isn't just a hobby, it's a passion. you have to love it to do it and all you need is PASSION.


    Good luck in your endeavors.

    xoxo - Princess Marivie

    ReplyDelete