Monday, August 29, 2011

Two in One- Part 2

The afternoon shoot was with my old high school friend's 2 month old daughter.  It was the first time I met her precious baby girl, Laney and the first time I've seen my friend since she got married in 2008.  


Now I haven't taken any recent pictures of newborns so my ability to position is terrible.  I noticed from my 1st shoot that I tend to take portrait vs. landscape photos which is standard since I'm taking portraits... right?  I tried to remember to switch it up... at least once.  I researched (on flickr none the less) some different poses to try as well as some websites on how to photograph newborns but I don't know how prepared you can get when you don't have a live newborn model in front of you.  


I requested a room that had the best natural light source (which happened to be their office) and I basically just used a large basket to place her in.  I used several different towels and blankets to set up the bed basket.  I have noticed that accessories are a big thing in newborn/infant pictures so we used several different headbands and bows to accessorize the little munchkin.  There were two different onesies worn in the 140+ photos I took.  And to go along with the AM shoot, I once again was having issues performing my "baby magic" BEHIND the camera.  But I guess that's what I have mommies there to get that cutesy smile out.  I'm not sure how long the shoot actually took since I wanted to catch up with my friend first.  But with it being a newborn shoot, I knew it would be longer due to feeding and intermittent diaper changes.  


At the end of post-processing, I ended up getting only 20 edited shots.    And after seeing the photos, I did wish I was able to position her easily and used different perspectives.  But I guess I was just too nervous because she was so young and fragile.  Guess there's something to learn every shoot I do.


Here is a collage of a few of her photos.  To see more check out my Laney 2-months set on flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment